[thelist] Jakob Nielsen is 99% bad

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 3 17:47:01 CDT 2002

Holy Hypocrosy Batman!

Anyway I wanted to share a little tip I've been using to help myself debug JavaScripts.

<tip type="Debugging JavaScript" author="pixelmech">

We all know that using alert(); can help you track your bugs down in scripts. However, sometimes
the alert can be a bit of a pain. In particular, I was trying to debug a script with an
onMouseMove event, and guess what you get with an alert inside that event...you got it, an endless
loop! (kind of) yay!

So instead, I simply wrote whatever I wanted to see in the status bar. Not only did this allow me
to get the info I wanted, but I could break out of the page at any time. Plus, I don't have to
click off or press return to get rid of the thing. Petty, I know - but I like it.

Tom

</tip>