[thelist] sticky frames script situation

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 4 11:26:14 CDT 2002

E'ers,

I have an interface that has a section where there are two frames stacked on top of each other as
rows:

+---------------+
Frame 335px
+---------------+
Frame *
+---------------+

The frames are resizeable, and the user will be resizing them to make the view of the content fit
their preference. Here is the problem, I don't want the user to size up the top frame above a
certain point because a) it covers up the content and b) it causes an error anyway (with some
other code).

There is another script that also essentially "hides" one frame by changing the frameset:

parent.document.body.rows = "25, *, 0";

(so the third row would be hid)

So here's the rub: I used a script to say, if frame is resized to a certain point, just make it
such a point so it doesn't go too high, like this:

if (newControlPos <= 205)
{
 newControlPos = 205;
 window.rowSet.rows = "25, 335, *";
}

And that was working BUT -- That ruined my toggle above, because when I tried to hide the second
frame, of course my script above just set it to 205 instead of 0!

SO - the real question is - is there a way one script can know where the command came from? I feel
like if I could tell the above script that "if the command to resize the frame came from the
hideMyFrame() function, then allow it to reset the frame to 0".

I want to say in ASP there is a way that a page can know which script referred it, maybe that is
along the lines I am thinking of...or a parameter...or something! aaah!

Any help or suggestions is appreciated - If I have not been clear let me know.

Tom