[thelist] DEBATE: Fixed Width Vs Liquid

Ken Kogler ken.kogler at cph.org
Tue Jun 4 11:26:22 CDT 2002

I've come up with a (mostly) liquid design for a site I'm working on. (I say
"mostly" because with the graphical elements, the minimum with is something
like 600px. It's not truly liquid).

The graphics department here says that a 100% width is "ugly" and "not
readable" because "users don't want to read long lines of text." They're
insisting I keep	to a 750px static width on every page.

Arguments for or against this? I'm all for the liquid design, but I can't
quite formulate an argument powerful enough to disprove the know-it-all
graphics department.

-Ken