[thelist] DEBATE: Fixed Width Vs Liquid

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 4 11:36:04 CDT 2002

Ken,

A person "says that a 100% width is "ugly" and "not readable" because "users don't want to read
long lines of text." is one person's OPINION. If there are 3 people in the graphics dept. saying
this, it is 3 peoples OPINIONS. What you want to do is set up a small usability test -- nothing
crazy and elaborate mind you -- but get 5 people off the street to come in and test the design.

I recommend "Don't Make Me Think: Common Sense Approach to Web Usability" by Steve Krug if you
don't know how to do a test. He gives you pretty much everything you need to know in this great
book on how to run a simple user test. You can read the book in less than a day.

This way, you can derive hard data that probably (can't say for sure, don't see your page) will
prove that their obtuse statement is unfounded. Certainly, I would think your users won't consider
a liquid display "not readable" -- that's just an ignorant statement by somebody with a strong
opinion.

Good luck

Tom