[thelist] DEBATE: Fixed Width Vs Liquid

Ward_Conant at URSCorp.com Ward_Conant at URSCorp.com
Tue Jun 4 12:03:05 CDT 2002

Actually, there is some justification for the claim that
long lines of text are more difficult to read. Most study
results that I've seen, however, refer to offline reading
(i.e., hard-copy, high-res print on paper). Maybe someone
else will be able to reference some salient research RE:
reading from a screen ...

IMO, this is really a debate about whether developers/
designers should allow/force users to manipulate their
browser's environment or not (i.e., force them to resize
their browser window). Some will argue that we should
*never* require users to do this, others will argue that,
since everyone is different, this is the only way to
successfully accommodate everyone (let *each user* decide
how long those lines of text should be for him/herself).
Are your users the type to balk at being asked to resize
their browser windows? Are they the type to not only *not*
do this, but to also fail to recognize that they are
missing something by not doing so?

"Let the user decide" vs. "Force the user to adapt." Two
takes on a single approach ... both applicable, perhaps, in
various situations. So, as usual, the correct answer would
appear to be, "It Depends."

Ward Conant
Solution Design and Production, IT Services
URS - Oak Ridge, TN
tel 865.220.8154
fax 865.483.9061

"Tom Dell'Aringa" <pixelmech at yahoo.com>