[thelist] DEBATE: Fixed Width Vs Liquid

aardvark roselli at earthlink.net
Tue Jun 4 12:45:00 CDT 2002

> From: Norman Bunn <norman.bunn at craftedsolutions.com>
>
> If the long lines at 100% width are a problem for some viewers, isn't
> it likely that they use a browser window set at something less than
> 100% of what their monitor will support?  So the graphics department's
> point is moot.
[...]

this is a good point...

based on research i did for my users (the article is now 23 months
old) in http://evolt.org/article/list/20/2297/ (Real-World Browser Size
Stats, Part II), i found that the mean viewport width for users at
800x600 was actually 719px... the median was 779px, and the
mode was 780px...

so, the 750px assertion from your designers would alienate all my
640x480 users, as well as some chunk of my 800x600 users, or
between 6% and 26% of my users (based on two-year old stats for
my site)...

dunno if that helps any, since those are my numbers, but it is a
good point that not all 8x6 users surf full-screen...

--
Read the evolt.org case study
Usability: The Site Speaks for Itself