[thelist] DEBATE: Fixed Width Vs Liquid

Daniel Fascia danfascia at totalise.co.uk
Tue Jun 4 18:31:01 CDT 2002

Sounds to me like your designers are just being lazy asses, they probably perceive it to be more effort to design elements that you can slot into a liquid layout... i.e. ones
that stretch nicely.

Why dont you reach a compromise by making your layout table liquid but only consuming say 70% of the screenwidth. That way, the column stretch would not be too bad
and scanlines would remain easy to the eye yet it would alleviate the bother of having a tiny page on high res screens.

Let me throw another spanner into this works!

Has anybody found a good *reliable* way of scaling the font depending on the screen resolution... that is other than setting up and dynamically loading different
stylesheets??

Interesting post though...

Dan