[thelist] DEBATE: Fixed Width Vs Liquid

Steve Lewis slewis at macrovista.net
Tue Jun 4 19:28:01 CDT 2002

I have not been following this thread closely, partly because of some
sloppy quoting (if the message preview in Mozilla contains nothing but a
quote attribution line and several blank quoted lines, I hit delete) and
partly because I am too lazy to follow thelist that closely. :)

I suspect that my reply below may be taking Chris' comments out of
context.  Mia Culpa if that is the case.

Chris W. Parker wrote:

>>>51% of web users use 800x600 and
>>the problem here is that resolution does not equate to window size
>>so those stats are useless

> i'm sorry, but you're wrong. the reason those stats are useful is
> because a person running at 8x6 CANNOT make their browser any larger
> than if they had clicked the maximize button. i don't know if this is
That argument is true.  8x6 is an absolute maxumum bound for 51% if this
audience.

> if the design department wants 750 width, i don't see what the problem
> is. make the minimum 750 and allow for the design to expand as far as it
> wants. my point with the stats is that if 51% of users are at 8x6 and
> the design is set for a minimum of 750 then 51% of the users will be
> getting what the "design department" wants. only will the people at
Not necessarily.  See above.  You have no knowledge about a minimum
bound so be carefull not to assume that you have 800 as a minimum bound
as well.  You seem to be assuming someone will act to maximize their
browser window and that is not a fair assumption, ergo those stats do
not support this argument.  The fact that you know a maximum bound does
not provide you with the information you need to support using a 750
width design without having it cause horizontal scroll bars for a
sizable audience.

The best fluid *designs* will scale well in four directions (bigger vs
smaller.  vertical vs horizontal) and should not imply a minimum or
maximum *content* size.  Notice separation of design and content.  This
is an ideal which is widely espoused; and these stipulations on design
are logical deductions from those ideals.

> higher resolutions *maybe* not get what they want. of course i'm still
> not assuming that everyone will have their browser window maximized
> since that's not entirely important. if the design people are asking for
> 750 that shouldn't be any problem at all. in other words, if someone was
> using 8x6 and they had their browser max'ed it wouldn't cause any
> problem with the "readibility" of the site. and likewise the people who
Sorry.  I am lost.  You are not assuming that everyone will have their
browser window maximized but if someone was using 8x6 screen resolution,
a design width of 750 should not be a problem?  Come again?

> it seems that the design dep. is assuming a maximized (or very close to)
> browser anyway. maybe i'm confused but it seems like an easy answer.
Than the design dep should invest in some additional training IMHO.
Maximized windows are not a justified assumption.  Evidence I have seen
suggests the contrary.

--Steve