[thelist] Calculating Page Size

Sam sam at sam-i-am.com
Wed Jun 5 11:19:00 CDT 2002

to see the true size of a page in IE:
 clear your browser cache (open the folder and delete everything -
including cookies)
 shift reload the page
 copy the contents of the cache folder to another scratch folder
 in the explorer window status bar, it tells you the total filesize of
the scratch directory contents (not including sub directories - which in
this case you wont have)

(the temporary internet files (cache) folder is a special window that
doesn't give you file size totals)

it's not as quick and easy as some of the other methods, but the only
way I know of to include all files associated and loaded with a page in
your page-weight count.

the news is rarely good - I've seen lots of target page-weights blown
this way as suddenly the javascript and css files get added into the
total, as well as rollover images etc.

Sam