[thelist] Looks like I have a virus

Techwatcher techwatcher at accesswriters.com
Wed Jun 5 13:58:36 CDT 2002

Despite the fact that I put a large txt file with VIRUS WARNING on his
desktop, and tried to warn him several times that he was at risk (he
uses Outlook Express), my father's computer came down with Klez.

After I finally figured out how to disabled
"Go-back" and get his W'98 machine into safe mode, I cleaned it for
him.

                   THE NEXT MORNING, IT WAS BACK!

So, don't think that little chunk of FixKlez antiviral cleanser will
keep your machine safe. Every time you use non-Web-based e-mail, or non-
ASCII based e-mail client, or download an attachment, you run the risk
of reinfection. This particular worm is everywhere right now, and it's
hard to get rid of it (that's my English-language interpretation of the
stats about Klez). So check for it AGAIN, after every time you use any
elaborate e-mail product, or download any attachment.

Note: although I slipper-swap files developed on my unconnected NT
machine with my father's  connected W'98 machine, my own machine
remained clean. The description of this worm says it infects local
drives, but it didn't get to my floppy, perhaps because I don't use or
transport fancy e-mail files.

Good luck, all --
Carol Stein
techwatcher at accesswriters.com