[thelist] ASP response.redirect bug

Steve Lewis slewis at macrovista.net
Wed Jun 5 16:09:01 CDT 2002

Hello all, soliciting help for a friend here.

	I am completely stumped on this bug, and it appears I am not alone.  We
found 1 other person who has posted on this problem here:
http://www.aewnet.com/newsgroups/rnews.asp?newsid=211735&group=1

	The ASP web-application uses Response.Redirect in many places which works
perfectly on Windows based IE 4+ and Netscape 4+ and on Mac Netscape 4+
but intermittently fails on Mac IE 4+.  After following a few links that
redirect (about 5-10 of them) all further calls to redirect fail.  You
can see an example of this (if you use Mac IE 4 or 5) at
http://wms.mncenter.org (a demo site that is currently being configured
using the "Web Management System") -- just click around on the top menu
for awhile and it should start to hang and the little spinning icon
appears.  You can force refresh the page, leave and go to a new site, or
open a new browser and it starts to work again. The team has tried to
isolate the bug and the best guess is that it is due to
response.redirect and not a caching problem or an HTML code bug. Browser
memory settings didn't seem to have any effect either.

Since each web page in the tool set can have a different template, when
you follow a link you go to a special "router" page (viewpage.asp) that
queries the database for the proper page-template match and then
redirects to that template passing the query string along as well.  I
buffer the response and call response.clear right before the redirect.
If I print the new link instead of redirecting there is no problem
(except that you have to follow the new link manually of course) so it
makes me confident that it is not a caching or HTML bug.

The web-server is currently IIS 4 service pack 6.  We plan to get a
Windows Advanced Server 2000 with IIS 5 up soon but need to do more
testing before moving.  I am aware of the Server.Transfer method but was
under the impression that it only works in IIS 5 and is not available in
IIS 4.

Before I go launching into another long re-coding and debugging exercise
to use Server.Transfer I would like all your feedback and relevant
experience with this problem if any.  Can anyone think of another work
around for Mac IE 4+?

Thank you.