[thelist] Netscape 4/5/6 - who's on first or who's down for the count?

Peter-Paul Koch gassinaumasis at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 6 08:13:56 CDT 2002

>I get a *ton* of Netscape users to my site, more than IE. Unless I'm
>reading the log
>wrong... Not sure why it comes out like that when so many other logs show
>IE to
>be the favorite. Any one have an idea why or if I'm just interpeting the
>data wrong?
>
>Have a look at:
>http://www.markgroen.com/stats/2002_05.html#browsum

I suppose it is because you don't exclude spiders

Mozilla/3.0 (compatible; Master.com Watchdog as requested)

is without a doubt some kind of spider. Spiders often mimic browsers (like
Netscape 3, here) to get around badly written server side browser detects.

Advice: ignore NN3 stats completely, assume they're all spiders.

ppk