[thelist] Platform/browser test please

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Thu Jun 6 17:39:01 CDT 2002

On Thursday, June 6, 2002, at 11:06  pm, Daniel Fascia wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> could I borrow your wisdom and range of platforms and ask you all to
> have
>  a peek at this site Im working on please...
>
> It needs to be very accessible and usable since its for a university
> based project
> and they are hot on that stuff, also many people of differing platforms
> will use it.
>
> http://webdb.ucs.ed.ac.uk/medmicrocal/index.cfm?case=pneumonia&section=clinical&
> page=1

Dan

Nice for sighted users (even low-sighted ones).

For non-sighted ones? Could do better.

Needs:
1) Alt texts on all the images, *especially* the logo. Null values for
the spacers
2) <b> change to <strong> or better, <h#>
3) Change the hard-numbered list in the nav to a real ordered list (you
can control the spacing with CSS)
4) Your main content table appears to be an unordered list. Make it one
(you can turn off the bulleting with CSS and also control the background
colour).

I'd also be tempted to have all the top nav links as real text, rather
than images. If you're being *really* picky, then this again is an
unordered list. You can make it appear to be an inline bar and turn off
the bulleting with CSS. And for repeated links like in a nav bar, you
should mark them up with <map title="Navigation Bar"
id="navigation_bar"> or similar to enable users to skip them instead of
having to read them every single time on every single page.

Instructions to do this at
http://www.alistapart.com/stories/practicalcss/ towards the bottom.

Nice work on the next page with the unordered list - some people would
have made this into paragraphs with simple images of the double right
arrows.

Not sure if "next *slide*" is ideal copy... and with the text right next
to it, I'm tempted to put a null alt text on it. At the moment, the link
reads "next slide next slide"

On the Systemic Enquiry page, nice descriptions of the images - would
have been even better if they were semantically *related* to the image,
and separated from each other (rn they run into each other with no
separation). Try having them as separate paragraphs and floating the
image left or right.

Cheers
Martin
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,