[thelist] Setting Directory Settings (CHMOD)

Burhan Khalid burhankhalid at members.evolt.org
Thu Jun 6 17:46:01 CDT 2002

1.	I want access to do whatever I want in that directory(read,
write,execute).

	You can change the owner of the file (only if you are su), so
that you have full 	access to it. See the man page for chown for
more information on this.

2.	I want customers to be able to upload (only) files to that
directory.

	If you give only write permissions, I believe this will work.

3.	I do not want the files in that directory to be listed if my
customers view the 	directory.

	You will need to configure your webserver so that it doesn't
allow directory 	browsing. That will fix this problem.

4.	I want the files to be listed when I view that directory.

	You will have to write login script that will let you view the
files.
      You can have an index.php/asp/cgi/cfm file that will authenticate
(popup a box that 	allows your to enter a username and password).
If authentication is good, it would 	allow you access to the files.

If you can give more information (environment -- webserver, etc.), I
(and others) will be able to give you more specifics.

Hth,
Burhan