[thelist] CSS question (Martin? Rudy?)

rudy r937 at interlog.com
Thu Jun 6 21:34:01 CDT 2002

hi carol

oh i am such a sucker for a direct appeal in the subject line

>The "site" is at camilio.accesswriters.com

pretty sweet as is

>Anyway, my question is this: It's my very first totally CSS-controlled
>site, and I want to be able to use the fixed position box.

that's not a question   ;o)

why fixed?

> I know my next CSS spec pages to plow through are inheritance &
> cascading,

those are actually part of the "css 201" course   ;o)

> but for what element (or classes?) can I assign large margin values,

all o' dem

> but set to 0 left-margin for the part of the page where I want the nav
> list?

um, ya lost me

> I was hoping to set large margins for body, but reset them for
> H1, and that didn't work.

a large margin for body?  do you remember when we could do that on the
stuff like the h1 headings to "hang over the edge" you can now use negative
margins on them

but i wouldn't

see, i am most definitely the wrong guy to ask, because the basic idea of a
negative margin makes me queasy

i figure, stuff inside the body, has to stay inside the body

but that's just me

also, if the browser wants to indent bulleted list items, i ain't about to
try to override that -- because sure as shootin, some other browser is
gonna barf on it

you should see some of the things the experienced css guys do to get pieces
of the page to line up according to what they feel looks nice

box model hack?  i try to stay away from stuff like that

and i have so far -- touch wood -- also avoided absolute positions

sorry i couldn't help more

i'm not anti-css, in fact i definitely and wholeheartedly believe in
separating style from content, but at the same time, i have a very strong
aversion to what i call hacks (donning my flame retardant suit), so if
anything, i am perhaps just a css anti-guru....

rudy