[thelist] Netscape... why?

Mark Gallagher mark at cyberfuddle.com
Fri Jun 7 09:38:31 CDT 2002

john-paul wrote:
>>~ use standard css, and just let the old browsers barf on it
>>
>>~ use only those css elements where none of the old browsers barf
>>
>>given those choices, the @import technique is better than nothing...
>
> true...
>
> although I prefer a simple php detect that gives cruddy browsers no CSS....

What if your browser-detect script goes wrong?  I've never seen a
flawless detect script (although, admittedly, PHP-based beats the hell
out of JavaScript-based).  Do you really want to hurt users of browsers
(like Mozilla, and Opera) that often fall through the gaps due to
ignorance, incompetence or (I hope this is the case most of the time)
sheer forgetfulness?

<snip />

<tip type="posting" author="Mark Gallagher">
How to post is a very contentious issue (although less so on mailing
lists than newsgroups), however, a little common sense can go a long
way.  When posting in response to specific points, *don't* place your
response above the original post and then copy & paste the originals -
that leads to duplication, which leads to larger posts, which leads to
longer download time, which leads to frustration, which leads to anger,
which leads to hate, which leads to sufferring... and the Dark Side.
<cough />.

When posting short replies to short posts, it doesn't really matter if
you post on top or below the quoted text (personally, I prefer below).
However, if you want to respond to particular parts of a person's post,
then for &deity;'s sake think a little - it'll save you time, and be
*much* easier on the rest of us.
</tip>

--
Mark Gallagher