[thelist] Netscape... why?

Chris Kaminski chris at setmajer.com
Fri Jun 7 09:54:01 CDT 2002

On Friday, June 7, 2002, at 07:17 AM, Ben Henick wrote:

>> ~ document.write different <link> tags based on navigator.userAgent,
>> use standard css for a <link> higher on the page, and just let NN 4.x
>> with JS disabled barf on it
>
> Been there, done that.  Doesn't work.

Say wha? I prefer the @import technique (and using quotes or not,
url() syntax or not) to filter where possible, but I've seen the JS
technique work in Opera 5+. Try <http://www.einfachfueralle.de> and
<http://www.aktion-mensch.de/pls/lotterie/of_lotterie.home>.

> Opera, you see, barfs on that... while Opera does have its quirks, it
> offers the best CSS support out there (and is a bunch of other neat,
> userfriendly things, though decent JavaScript support is not one
> of them).

Agreed on the user-friendly things and so-so JS, but Mozilla (and
other Gecko-based browsers) and Mac IE 5 both compare favorably
with Opera.

Opera is very good. Moz and Mac IE are generally better.

> I've made up my mind that PITA or not, refusing CSS rules to Opera is a
> Bad Thing.  (JS code is another story entirely.)

Agreed.

> You can do this instead:  write your CSS stylesheet, overwrite the
> values
> for Netscape 4 by LINKing a second JSSS stylesheet,

Why overwrite? Just use don't put anything 'controversial' in a
<link>ed stylesheet. @import that stuff. I typically use the
following:

<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" media="screen"
href="everybody.css" />
<link rel="stylesheet" type="text/jsss" href="netscapeonly.js" />
	@import: url(everybodybutnetscape.css);
	@import: "everybodybutnetscapeie4winandie40mac.css";

chris.kaminski { functionNewMedia :: <http://www.function.de> }