[thelist] custom 404 document

David Dorward evolt at david.us-lot.org
Sat Jun 8 05:21:01 CDT 2002

On Sat, 08 Jun 2002 16:43:52 +1000
Michael Pemberton <mpember at phreaker.net> wrote:

> Kevin wrote:

> >I asked my host to setup a custom 404 document and it only seems to
> >work in Netscape and Opera. When I attempt to test it on IE it
> >doesn't work, unless I turn off "friendly error messages".

> One other solution may be to trick IE into thinking it was
> successful.  For example, sending a 200 response instead of a 404
> error.

Unfortunatly that would trick robots in to thinking it was a 200 pages
rather then a 404 page - and they would index it. You could end up
with a lot of 404 pages being listed in a search engine.

--
David Dorward                                   http://david.us-lot.org/
HTML email is a bit like using coloured paper and glitter ink on a CV.