[thelist] Help with ID, please, someone?

Bill Mason evolt at accessibleinter.net
Sun Jun 9 02:29:01 CDT 2002

At 06:06 PM 06/08/2002, you wrote:
>I was thinking that in the DOM, the thing referred to has this unique
>label/title/name value, whether I was using the name attribute or the
>id attribute to refer to it. So I could keep both attributes, assigning
>the same value. Was that correct thinking, or does the rule that "ID
>must be unique" actually mean that the value of the attribute ID must
>be a unique value in the HTML, for that document?

Names and IDs can share a value.  There shouldn't be two ID attributes of
the same value in the document.

>The reason I ask is I saw that name="foo" id="bar" thing posted
>earlier, and wondered why the author did it that way.

I missed that example, but I've had reason (not that I can remember why
now) to have different names and IDs on an item now and then.

Bill Mason
Accessible Internet
evolt at accessibleinter.net
http://www.accessibleinter.net/