[thelist] dangerous CSS, was: Netscape... why?

Mark Gallagher mark at cyberfuddle.com
Sun Jun 9 20:42:00 CDT 2002

Erik Mattheis wrote:
> At 6:39 PM -0400 6/8/02, rudy wrote:
>
>>  > The site I can't use @import for uses DANGEROUS CSS!
>>  > If it gets into the wrong browser it can render the site unnavigable.
>>
>> erik, i'm probably not the only one who'd really like to see some
>> examples
>> of this so-called dangerous css
>
> OK http://www.gozz.com/temporary/dangerous/styled.cfm - explanation
> on the page which also allows you to have the page give you CSS
> intended for another browser.

Remember what I said earlier about the inherent dangers of
browser-detect scripts?  Uhuh.

I'm using Mozilla 1 RC3[0], which is very similar to (but slightly
better than) Netscape 6.2.  Despite this, I get treated to the "bad
browser" stylesheet, when I can quite easily handle Netscape 6.2's
stylesheet.

You forgot to factor in Mozilla, and probably Netscape 7, didn't you?
Don't feel bad - it's an easy mistake to make - which is why I think
browser-detect-scripts are usually a Bad Thing :o).

<snip />

[0] Does anyone have a good reason why I should upgrade to 1.0?

--
Mark Gallagher
http://cyberfuddle.com/infinitebabble/