[thelist] dangerous CSS, was: Netscape... why?

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Sun Jun 9 23:15:08 CDT 2002

At 11:42 AM +1000 6/10/02, Mark Gallagher wrote:
>Remember what I said earlier about the inherent dangers of
>browser-detect scripts?  Uhuh.
>
>I'm using Mozilla 1 RC3[0], which is very similar to (but slightly
>better than) Netscape 6.2.  Despite this, I get treated to the "bad
>browser" stylesheet, when I can quite easily handle Netscape 6.2's
>stylesheet.

Sure. And there's certainly others that would fail in a way that
makes the page unusable ... I'd rather it be usable for everyone, and
"as intended" for most than  look pretty for more and be unusable for
some.

Again, I need to simulate the "frameset" you get with the browsers
this (http://www.gozz.com/temporary/dangerous/styled.cfm) works for
OR use "real" frames.

Maybe aardvark is right - I should bite the bullet and use frames.

But if I don't have to and also can use capability testing, I'd
rather do that. You and Samir seem to think that is possible, but
haven't made specific suggestions .... what should I try?

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/

Through June 15