[thelist] DOC to HTML and a CMS

Madhu Menon webguru at vsnl.net
Mon Jun 10 05:01:01 CDT 2002

At 07:15 PM 6/9/2002, Hershel Robinson wrote:

>I have a new client who has between 500 and 1000 articles in MS Word format.
>He wants to put them on a website.
>
>1 Is there a utility to convert these into a usable HTML format
>automatically?  Even if I were to hire a data entry person to convert by
>hand via MS Word's Save As Web Page feature, I am then only going to want
>the BODY of the thing because I want to build the CSS myself.

Hershel,

Do these Word documents contain all kinds of fancy formatting (using style,
borders, etc.) or are they just plain old paragraphs of text? And if they
do, do you want to retain the formatting?

If you know a bit of Visual Basic for Applications, you *could* write a
macro that takes each file, takes only the text, wraps the paragraphs in
<P> tags, and writes it to an HTML file. It's not that hard - probably a
couple of days of work.

Regards,

Madhu

Madhu Menon