[thelist] re: Yahoo Beta Page

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 10 12:33:01 CDT 2002

You can view the "new" Yahoo! beta page at:

http://www.yahoo.com/beta.html

and fill out a user survey. It was an interesting article, I noted how they make much of their
"Mantle" and yet it moved DOWN in the beta. That just makes me think they have some sneaky ideas
about new ads they aren't revealing just yet.

What do you all think about the 35 text links up top the page? (Such as briefcase, maps, weather,
etc.) I have always thought this was a mess, the absolute worst part of Yahoo - and I am a big
yahoo fan and user. I can never find the link I am looking for up there - even though I have been
using it for years because it all runs together and is very hard to read. The classifications
never have made a difference for me either. On the beta, they have reorganized them a bit, but to
me its still a big mess. I'd like to see them go with a new more innovative way to handle them
(whatever that might be!)

I realize those links are a big part of yahoo and its a lot of content, but I still think it
stinks. As far as the rest of the page...I'm glad the banner is gone up top and it does look a bit
nicer - and they using more styles.

I did also notice, they have some hairy code for browser detect instead of using object detection.
Didn't take a real long look but I wonder what you all think would be the better approach,
especially with the problems of browser detect. I prefer object detect whenever possible, if
always.

Tom