[thelist] dangerous CSS, was: Netscape... why?

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Mon Jun 10 21:25:01 CDT 2002

At 8:40 AM -0400 6/10/02, rudy wrote:
>hi erik
>
>http://www.gozz.com/temporary/dangerous/styled.cfm can be
>simplified by placing that black thing at the top of the page

Gee, nobody's directly commended me for figuring out how to do it
without frames in the browsers it works for. Sniff sniff.

>if it must remain visible when the page scrolls, use a frame
>
>those are simple solutions which do not compromise the artistic design
>
>i realize that "artistic design" is open to interpretation, but having a
>nav bar which floats is not artistic design, it is functional design, and i
>daresay it will be broken in some browsers

Whether it's "functional" design or "artistic" design doesn't matter
to me .. it's the design that I said I could accomplish for popular
modern browsers ... before I was retained (hmm, maybe that's _why_ I
was retained).

I really am struggling with the fact it could be easily accomplished
with frames ... the thing is I've run into many problems with frames
due to a client adding additional functionality to a site ... and I
think that less than 10% of visitors getting something not quite as
good or not the ideal design is worth it ... especially because it's
reasonable to expect that the 10% will shrink over the comming months
and years.

>  > I was provided with Quark documents and instructions to make it happen.
>>  I enjoy trying to satisfy pickiness.
>
>the client believes that what you're doing with all the browser sniffing
>and dangerous css is of "utmost" importance, and is willing to pay you for
>the time?

Good question. "Yes."

At 3:33 AM -0500 6/10/02, Samir M. Nassar wrote:
>Erik,
>
>Well it does seem impossible to me too sometimes. And I can spend hours
>on a style sheet to get it 'just so' with as many browsers as possible.
>
>However, 'just so' doesn't always do the job and some calculated
>flexibility is in order.
>
>[...]
>So did I get what I wanted to start out with? No.

We're getting philosophical ... so, a little background on me: in
elementary school, I always got the lowest marks for "follows
instructions well" - I did things however the hell I thought they
should be done. My mom and dad and teachers, and on into college
profs would always tell me "You have to learn how to play the game."

Maybe some here would think I learned my lesson too well: I've gotten
paid handsomely for doing completely _wrong_ thing more times than I
can count. To me, it's equally important to do what a client wishes
to pay be to do as it is to put my best effort to make the client
understand why what they're asking for might not be a good idea. If a
decision that I think may be bad is an informed decision, I have no
problems supplying a client with whatever they want.

And for the matter at hand, it's probably the same informed decision
I would have made.

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/