[thelist] web tv

Mark Groen mark at markgroen.com
Tue Jun 11 00:42:00 CDT 2002

> just finished a site http://www.mainstreetholly.com and one of the
> committee members has web TV and complained that the js drop down
> menus do not work on web TV
Web TV doesn't handle very complicated javascript, and your drop downs
are definitely too much. I've only been able to get simple roll-over (not
Macromedia swap-image style roll-overs tho') to work on buttons so far.
There's a few links out there for a search on webtv+javascript, here's one to
get you started:
http://sepwww.stanford.edu/sep/jon/family/jos/webtv/developer3/authoring/jav
ascript/javascript.htm

 and that the buttons on the business
> directory are blurry.
The text style runs the letters together and because polygons on a TV are
different than pixels on a monitor it may seem blurry on her TV.

Everything is fine in Explorer and Netscape, and
> this seems to only be a problem with her web TV.
I seen logs for other sites where WebTV visitors never made it past the first
page, all using Macromedia for the javascript rollovers.

 What are the specs
> for web TV anyway? I never even gave a thought to that platform when I
> designed the otherwise simple site.

Here's a pretty good overview of other problems you may run into when
designing for WebTV:

http://html.about.com/cs/webtvhtml/

HTH!
MG Web Services