[thelist] XML or a database?

Chris Spruck cspruck at mindspring.com
Tue Jun 11 01:24:00 CDT 2002

At 04:14 PM 6/11/02 +1200, Rachel Cunliffe wrote:
>Hiya,
>
>So far I've pretty much stuck to PHP/MySQL for handling data -- but I am
>wondering when I should get into XML.  What are the advantages and
>disavantages of both methods?  If I am not sharing my data with others,
>would you always choose a database over an XML file?

Rachel,

The second link below gives you a lot of info on what you're asking, but be sure to look around the rest of the site as well, particularly the links pages. I definitely agree with Michael's comments though - it makes a huge difference whether your data lends itself to more of a relational or a hierarchical scheme (or possibly elements of both). I'm having to do it "the wrong way" (in my opinion) on a very large project and it's really sticky, so you *really* want to avoid that if you can.

HTH!!

Chris
<tip type="XML vs. database">

Ron Bourret's site is a great resource for XML and databases - too much to list, so explore the site from the root on down.

http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/index.htm - XML-specific papers

http://www.rpbourret.com/xml/XMLAndDatabases.htm - A discussion of the relationship between XML and databases -- why you might want to use databases with XML, the underlying technical concepts, and how to choose the software you need. Now includes a discussion of native XML databases.

</tip>