[thelist] managing bookmarks

Neil Mcgill n.mcgill at unn.ac.uk
Tue Jun 11 09:49:01 CDT 2002

I also have hundreds of bookmarks at home and at work which need
synchronising every so often (its annoying to add bookmarks at work and not
be able to remember them for use at home).
Anyway, I found this simple way of updating both sets of bookmarks -

Simply export your favourites from Internet Explorer to a separate file on
your desktop and edit the source to re-arrange/delete them as you want (in
dreamweaver/frontpage/notepad whatever)
Remember to keep the extra stuff added in the hrefs and also the general
layout (uses DT/DL tags)

Save this file to a floppy disk and take it home - Import it to your home
browser. Multiple url's are overwritten (as long as they are in the same
folders).
Now you have a SUPER BOOKMARK file with hundreds of links.

Re-export the new bookmarks to another file on your desktop. Edit this file
as you want it (to remove any extra or unwanted urls).

Now delete ALL your existing favourites (from the windows/favourites/ folder
or NT equivalent - documents and settings/username/favourites/ ) and Import
your new ready made and up-to-date bookmark file.
Re-save this file to the floppy disk.

Back at work delete all your favourites again, and import the bookmarks from
the floppy.

Now both your home and work bookmarks are identical, so the hard work is
done.

If you add any new bookmarks in the future, re-export your bookmarks to the
floppy and import them back to the other machine. Only the newest bookmarks
will be added, since both machines had the same original bookmarks in the
same structure.