[thelist] Problem with Ports based vhost on Apache/OS X

Adrian Simmons adrian at cubitum.co.uk
Tue Jun 11 13:23:01 CDT 2002

Hello,

I'm wondering if anyone can give me some pointers as to why my ports
based virtual hosting is not working as I expect. Allow me to
elaborate:

I have two computers sitting on an ethernet network.

One is running OS X with Apache, used for development purposes only
and not available to anyone outside of my home network. I'm trying to
set up virtual hosting to replicate my web-hosting account.

Thus far I have added 2 Listen directives to my httpd.conf:
Listen 127.0.0.1:8081
Listen 192.168.0.2:8081

And added the VirtualHost:
<VirtualHost 127.0.0.1:8081 192.168.0.2:8081 >
     DocumentRoot /Library/WebServer/Documents/perlucida.com/httpdocs
     ServerName www.perlucida.g4
     ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /Library/WebServer/Documents/perlucida.com/cgi-bin/
</VirtualHost>

Everything works fine from the machine that runs Apache. So from 192.168.0.2:
If I got to http://127.0.01 or http://192.168.0.2 then I see the main
Apache index page.
If I go to http://127.0.01:8081 or http://192.168.0.2:8081 I see the
correct vhost index page.

But if I go to the other machine (which is at 192.168.0.3) then
pointing the browser at http://192.168.0.2:8081 just gives me the
main Apache index page, instead of the vhost page.
No error messages, just serves it right up as though it was supposed
to. I can get to the page with a direct URL though, so
http://192.168.0.2/perlucida.com/httpdocs/index.html is perfectly
visible and accessible across the network. It's not an access problem.

apachectl configtest reports that Syntax is OK.

Despite reading the manual several times and googling I just can't
figure out what is wrong. I can't even begin to think what is going
wrong. Help!
Why does the server behave differently depending on where the request
is coming from?

--
Adrian

e-mail <mailto:adrian at cubitum.co.uk>
Web Site <http://www.cubitum.co.uk>
NS/AOL and Yahoo Instant Message ID <adrianatcubitum>
ICQ <116419539>