[thelist] iBooks, OS X, Macs, Web Development, Laptops, Etc,Etc

David Kutcher david_kutcher at hotmail.com
Tue Jun 11 18:16:00 CDT 2002

Josh, I totally agree.

I bought myself a IBM Thinkpad T21 with a 3 yr warranty (onsite support) for
$1400 brand new from IBM.  Weights in at 6.2 lbs and has a sturdy titanium
casing that has pleasantly suprised me a few times.

My software development tools are as such:
    Interdev (ok, i hate it, but it does the MS crap as well as html)
    TortoiseCVS to connect seamlessly to the CVS rep on my BSD server
(http://www.tortoisecvs.org)
    PHP Triad to do local webtesting and dev using PHP/MySQL/Apache
    Outlook to connect to my Exchange Server
    A host of SSH apps to do transfer and shells
    SourceSafe (like CVS, but runs faster locally and is better for 1 person
projects)
    And all of the other things like Flash as well.

Now, why would I want to pay the Apple markup?  In addition, you have a much
wider range of software and peripherals available to you.

But it goes back to the main issue: 95% of the market is on a windows
client.  You are designing/developing for that market.  Use the device they
are on or as close as you can get to it.

David
www.confluentforms.com