[thelist] iBooks, OS X, Macs, Web Development, Laptops, Etc,Etc

Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com
Wed Jun 12 09:09:07 CDT 2002

>if you are on a mac for development, you're just plain crazy.  why would
YOU
>be on a mac if 95% of the real world (and probably your clients) is on a
>windows client?

Two reasons:

1) The web is platform-agnostic. It works with anything, even a Sinclair.
In fact, it helps to develop on a different platform than your client for
the simple reason that it helps ensure you're maintaining this agnosticism.

2) I'm a firm believer in using the tool that fits my hand better, and the
Mac fits my hand better. I work with Windows as well, and I still find the
Windows interface clunky, even after all the revisions over the years MS
invested in it to make it more Mac-like. Sorry, but that's just my personal
opinion and I cheerfully admit that you may not agree and am not trying to
force to you agree. (See point 1.) I can be more productive on a Mac than
on a Windows machine, and *that's* what it's all about. It's not the label
on the the tool, it's what you do with it that counts.

Why should I toss out my iBook simply to please someone I haven't met
before and who has no stake in my business?

Have fun,
Arlen
DNRC 224

Arlen.P.Walker at JCI.Com