[thelist] iBooks, OS X, Macs, Web Development, Laptops, Etc, Etc

Benjamin C. Varadi bvaradi at nlcnet.org
Wed Jun 12 11:14:00 CDT 2002

Jonathan_A_McPherson at rl.gov wrote:

[about Dell]
> they also have a good
> reputation for reliability and are built using high-quality name-brand parts
> that work with Linux out of the box (http://www.linux-laptop.net/). That, to
> me, is worth the extra expense.

 From my experience, linux-laptop is definitely trustworthy.  I'm a
Linux newbie and their info on the Vaio series (which I've been happy
with, btw) made my install a lot easier.

> (I've noticed some HP laptops *very* attractively priced lately; if I can
> find one of those that works well with Linux -- decent video chipset w/
> dedicated RAM, modem, *integrated* 802.11b, etc -- I might pick it up
> instead.)

I dunno if this has been mentioned and I missed it but
<TIP type="probably obvious:  buying laptops online">
If you're a developer (or anyone who uses a computer all day) thinking
about buying a laptop online, it's imperative that you find somewhere to
try it out in person, first.

No matter how many reviews you read, it's impossible to know if you can
deal with the incidentals- wrist-panel speakers, how small an 85%
keyboard really feels, or whether the particular model you're
considering even has a full range of keys.  Also imagine it with every
port plugged in at your desk or couch or wherever- will the headphone
cable be resting on your hands while you type?  Will the mouse have to
get tangled up with the printer/ethernet/whatever to reach your dominant
hand?  These minor details become a lot more important when you can't
just switch out components for a coupla bucks.</TIP>

Arlen.P.Walker at jci.com wrote:

 > 2) I'm a firm believer in using the tool that fits my hand better,
and the
 > Mac fits my hand better. I work with Windows as well, and I still
find the
 > Windows interface clunky, even after all the revisions over the years MS
 > invested in it to make it more Mac-like.

<TIP type="Alternative shells are your friend">
So you want/need to work in a Windows environment, but that interface is
totally irritating, right?  You'd love it if it were only prettier/
uglier/ easier/ more feature filled/ whatever...  Take some time to
check out Litestep (www.litestep.net): an open-source Windows shell
replacement that's smaller, faster, and more stable than the Microsoft
offering.  It's infinitely customizable, although if you don't choose to
install someone else's theme (there are thousands), you could find
yourself killing a whole lot of time creating and editing config files...

As an added bonus, Litestep is based on AfterSTEP, so if you're coming
from or headed to Linux, it can definitely ease the transition.

Many Litestep themes are packaged with the LS executable and config
files.  Good starting points are desktopian.org and deviantart.com.</TIP>

I'm not affiliated, I just wouldn't give up my on-desktop resource
monitor and right-click start menu for anything.

-BEN
Consider this pre-delurk.
I'll stay ontopic from now on.  Promise.