[thelist] Dreamweaver Codewriting

Kostal Design | Sebastian Kostal info at kostaldesign.de
Wed Jun 12 13:03:01 CDT 2002

> It's saying it to prospective clients that counts. The reason for writing
> your own JS functions is not to achieve a sense of pride. It's to cut down
> on bloated code and page loading times, which in turn can *lead to* a sense
> of pride.

In the end it probabely comes down to traffic. If you can really write good
JavaScript functions that save your client 20% traffic this is a good
achievement and worth the development time if you have massive traffic.
Other than that it is just not worth the money. If you have written your own
functions already and don't need to develop them that's good, of course you
are going to use them. In my case no one would have paid me the extra
effort. This is not only my unique situation, but will apply to many other
people's situations. It has to pay for your clients and make sense for them
to ask for a custom programmed function.

>> I sense a little bit too much idealism in your opinion.
>
> That's a bad thing? It's the *ideal* for a reason... aiming high is better
> than missing low.

In my opinion idealism makes people loose track of the whole picture and
waste resources which could have been spent better somewhere else. If you
want an ideal solution you are going to chase after it for the rest of your
life. Idealism can make one fanatic und less objective. There is always
something you can make better, it's just the question if it's worth doing
it.

And let's not talk in terms political about idealism, because this just not
belongs here (Fashism and Kommunism are both examples of idealistic
principles with their influences on world history).

Speaking of which ‹ aren't we supposed to be working?

I'll keep your arguments in mind.

Sebastian