[thelist] PAGE OPTIMIZATION: source readability v. download weight

Chris W. Parker cparker at swatgear.com
Wed Jun 12 13:51:00 CDT 2002

(whoops i should have replied to this stuff too.)

> I do know that there are server-side utilities/scripts that
> will condense
> the code down as much as possible on the fly, while keeping
> the original
> like your layout.

do you have a link?

> I personally am somewhat of a clean-code addict myself.  I
> always believe
> that nice, clean, readable code is priceless.  Pride in your
> work, etc...

agreed. i have a pet peeve when it comes to ugly code.

for example i know a bunch of people code like this...
-------------------
if (this = this) {
do these commands;
} else {
do these commands;
}
-------------------
i can't stand that.

i would do...
-------------------
if(this = this)
{
	do these commands;
}
else
{
	do these commands;
}

looks much better, even though that was just some abitrary language i
used. my point is not so much the syntax but rather the placement of the
{ } characters.

and so that's why i strive to make my code neat and clean. for the good
of humanity really.

chris.