[thelist] Examples of excellent control panel usage

Tom Dell'Aringa pixelmech at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 12 15:41:01 CDT 2002

--- David Ulevitch <davidu at everydns.net> wrote:
> I am beginning to redesign the web frontend for my DNS service and I was
> wondering if you all could do a coulple of things for me<snip>

David, I bet you get a lot of responses from this, but having used some brutal control panels in
the past I can at least say a couple things:

1) Don't get cute with the design and implementation. I used one that was all in DHTML, and it
loaded all kinds of wacky buttons and special menus and it took FOREVER - for a freaking CONTROL
PANEL! It's a utility, not a webby award nominee - build it that way.

2) Along the lines of #1 - every time I wanted to do something I had to load another page which
was further frustrating. What ever happened to a control panel being a PANEL not a site the size
of amazon.com! I realize you can only put so much on one page, but think in terms of developers
wanting to go there, get something done FAST and leave.

I think if you start from that perspective, you'll do fine.

Tom