[thelist] Hand Coding (was Dreamweaver Codewriting)

Hugh Blair hblair at hotfootmail.com
Wed Jun 12 16:08:08 CDT 2002

I can do both. Here's two. There's a small javascript that I hand coded, but
the rest is pure DW, template built. These sites just went up and I have a
lot yet to finish and tweek, but take a look at the front pages of:

http://www.hotfootmail.com
http://www.hiddenregistration.com

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating pure DW. I usually do a lot of hand
coding inside DW. I don't let it have total control. But using it for a start
is the fastest way for *me* to build pages.

> Once we get complete standards support in browsers, wysiwyg tools will be
> wonderful to use. Until then, you have to either give up on some design
> features or hand code them.

It seems that you think users of DW rely on it totally. Some do, but using
DW for basic structure, then codeing by hand, is the method I've always used.

> And the question comes up, how much effort is the hand coding putting you
> to on a project, and will the tool save you any time. The answer to both
> questions depends on your ability to hand-code. I can code some pages by
> hand faster than I can with a power tool, and some swing the other way. How
> many sites fall in each category for you will inform the answer to the
> question of whether it's worth it to buy one.

Different tools, different uses, different users. Believe it or not, there's
a place for almost every tool. Almost. Buying and using DW type tool might
not be best for you. I won't try to change your mind. Just don't put down
those that do use them. BTW, the above pages were built with DW MX.

--
    Hugh