[thelist] Re: Validation > pressure on software companies??

Techwatcher techwatcher at accesswriters.com
Thu Jun 13 08:44:01 CDT 2002

> Watching this list for a while I realized everybody thinks that
validation
> is important.
>
> I've seen valid code that breaks on NN 4.5 Mac. So the validator
seems to me
> no measure to assure correct page display.
>
> This leads me to the conclusion that the only reason validation makes
sense,
> is to discipline software companies to stick to some standard. I am
really
> not understanding this otherwhise.
>
> I personally clearly prefer a page that works and depreciates nicely
over a
> page that sticks to some standard which causes display errors. Please
help
> me to understand. I feel really funky, because everybody makes such a
big
> deal about validation and then in some instances the page does not
even
> display correctly! What's the point then??
>
> Sebastian

Obviously, if you're new to Web "design" you weren't coding back in
1996 (as I was). (-8
If you had been coding for some years, you might have noticed that the
Web pages you created that were great a year or two ago, now are either
dated, or just don't really work well compared to newer models. More
importantly, they are hard to update.

The more one deviates from standards, the harder they are to update.

I try to read the standards now and stick to them (I've been trying to
use XHTML v.1 for over year, for example). It just makes life much
easier down the road.

Cheers --
techwatcher (Carol Stein)