lack of upgrading (yes, *again*) (was Re: [thelist] Validation > pressure on software companies??)

Mark Gallagher mark at cyberfuddle.com
Fri Jun 14 19:30:05 CDT 2002

mini-d wrote:
> Don't people chance of cars where they see is getting olders?

Depends on the car.  There are still people who get around in Mini
Coopers, and not even because they're forced to financially - but
because they're great cars.

And consider those without much money (e.g. college/senior high or uni
students who've just got their licences and have only a few thousand $).
  A friend of mine recently bought a banged-up Corolla that I swear
can't be less than 30 years old (assuming, of course, Corollas were made
in the early seventies and late sixties :o)), simply because it was
cheap (read: only browser that worked on her hardware) and did the job
(read: no pressing need to upgrade).

> Don't people change TVs because they become more wider and more
> confortables and full of features?

Again, it depends.  If you've got a TV that's incredibly bulky, with a
ten-inch screen and only support for black-and-white FTA reception (and
no support for VCRs, DVD players, cable, satellite, etc.), you might
have a case for upgrading.  But what if your TV is twenty years old,
large enough to see the screen from anywhere in the room, decent sound,
decent connection abilities?  Why throw *it* away, just to spend heaps
on a new one?

> I guess if we force that 4% to move to the rest i guess it would be
> better. I figure a persona one day enter to a website and see almost
> everything broken, because they s***y browser can't support any
> standard, i guess we don't need to redirect the visitors to a page
> explaining they need to change... I guess if every company frustrates
> them, they will update.

Sites don't *have* to be broken in s**t (damn those corporate filters)
like Navigator 4.  They don't have to look pretty, either.  Stylesheets
called with '@import "foo.css";' can't be rendered by Netscape
Navigator, so the user will simply see unstyled content - which is far,
far better than most of what happens when NN4 is unleashed.

> That's just my opinion. I develop for 5.x and 6 browsers... And using
> standards as my boss let me use them.

Why don't you develop for the standards alone?  To hell with 5.x/6.x
browsers!

(what do you do about Lynx, Dillo, Konqueror, Netscape 7, Links, and
other fine non-5x-6x-but-still-modern wares?)

--
Mark Gallagher
http://cyberfuddle.com/infinitebabble/