[thelist] Shared email clients and privacy/security

Martin Burns martin at easyweb.co.uk
Sat Jun 15 05:37:01 CDT 2002

On Saturday, June 15, 2002, at 08:39  am, Adrian Fischer wrote:

> The company has 1 email account but can have a gazillion email
> addresses.  I
> can filter the emails to go to folders under outlook 2000 but anyone can
> read any other folder.  I intend to leave the messages on the hosts
> server
> so that all have access to mail. Otherwise the first to read the mail
> gets
> it all on their machine.  (Am I making sense here?)
>
> We don't have a mail server.  I need every one to be able to read mail
> directed at them without everyone else being able to view other peoples
> folders.

Here's one option which may require the central machine to be a Unix-y
one (certainly this would work on a *nix box (including MacOSX) - I
don't know about Windows)

Set up the central machine as having real user accounts for everyone and
a POP box each

Collect the mail from the external mail server using fetchmail
http://www.tuxedo.org/~esr/fetchmail/
Match incoming mail addresses to users using Procmail
http://www.procmail.org/
(you can spambounce with Procmail while you're at it -
http://www.spambouncer.org/ )
and deliver the mail to all the appropriate POP boxes.

Each user can then connect with their email client to their own POPbox
as if you've got however many real external email accounts.

Cheers
Martin
   tel:	+44 (0)774 063 9985				Edinburgh,