[thelist] Site check request + blatant weblog promotion

Simon Willison simon at incutio.com
Mon Jun 17 17:33:01 CDT 2002

I've been updating my new weblog for a few days now, and I think there's
enough content there to give people an idea of how the site is going to
develop:

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~cs1spw/blog/

I'm interested in feedback on all aspects of the site, in particular the
content so far but also the design (I'm not much of a designer so advice on
making it visually more appealing would be great) and general navigation
layout. I'd also love to know if it looks OK on a mac.

Since this is blatant self promotion here are a couple of tips :)

===

<tip type="Debugging Content-Type problems">
If you have a suspicion that a page is not being served with the correct
content-type (HTML being displayed as plain text in the browser and
stylesheets not rendering in Mozilla are common symptoms of this) a good
way of checking is to use this page:

http://webtools.mozilla.org/web-sniffer/

It takes a URL and displays syntax highlighted HTML and the full HTTP
headers for that page, making it useful for debugging other header related
problems as well.
</tip>

<tip type="cvs tutorial">
Struggling with the basic concepts of CVS? This tutorial explains CVS from
the perspective of both a user (grabbing the latest source from CVS) and a
developer (commiting changes to a CVS repository) in a very straightforward
manner.

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/cvs-tutorial.html
</tip>

===