[thelist] Opening the users default Mp3 player

Burhan Khalid burhankhalid at members.evolt.org
Tue Jun 18 11:02:06 CDT 2002

> Look into using RealMedia or ASX then.  AIUI, they can be set so that
> music *cannot* be saved, but can be listened to by anyone with a
> perfectly functioning T1 line.

I would also suggest looking up shoutcast streams. They don't require a
dedicated server (just a plugin as far as I can remember). This also
gives users the ability to set up their own customized playlists
(although this is also an option with ASX (Windows Media?) and
RealMedia).

A real el-cheapo version of this this would be myplay. You can create an
account on their (free), upload upto 20 gigs (that's right gig) of Mp3s,
and create your playlist. Then you just give the playlist URL to your
audience, myplay takes care of the streaming.

hth,
Burhan