[thelist] Yikes! Misbehaving machine - please help.

Marc Seyon seyon at delime.com
Tue Jun 18 13:10:18 CDT 2002

I've got a slight problem guys. Computer froze up on me earlier today. Now it's giving all manner or annoying problems. Here are what I think are the major symptoms:

- CD drive opening and closing of its own accord, particularly while starting up/shutting down.
- Computer failing to boot up - freezing on the Dell screen - intermittently.
- CD drive making a very loud buzzing noise, and recently, a sort of grating, as of gears gnashing together. Buzzing sounds like something spinning in overdrive, and continues for anywhere from 10 - 60 seconds before it spins down.
- CD drive is inaccessible. Unresponsive to open button also.
CD-RW was also not appearing in Windows Explorer, although it was opening and closing on demand.
- Attempting to open Windows Explorer last time caused system to hang while apparently looking for drives.
- During one attempt to run virus scan, when monitor powered off, was unable to wake it back up - hard drive light was still spinning. Had to power off computer.

hmm. Typing it makes it sound so much worse.
It's a Dell Win2k box. I've powered it off now, and am using my laptop. Any/all help is most appreciated. I will tip later. Promise.

regards.
-marc