[thelist] MySQL Tutorials & CMS tutorials?

Greg Farries greg at mapleleafweb.com
Wed Jun 19 10:39:07 CDT 2002

> So, does anyone know where I can find beginner and
> intermediate tutorials on MySQL?

I too have struggled with the idea of databasing my site.  And while I
haven't actually achieved it yet, I have followed up on peoples
recommendations on literature.  Here's a couple resources you might want to
look at:

http://www.webmasterbase.com/printTemplate.php?aid=228
- A couple chapters of a decent book on building a CMS.  I actually bought
the book.  Pretty good starter tutorials.

You'll also want to become acquitted with a couple other sites with tons of
info on them.  They include,
http://www.devshed.com/
http://www.phpbuilder.com/

And of course http://www.php.net and http://www.mysql.com/ will need to
become your best friends.

Two books I've purchased that have helped some are, "MySQL" by Paul Dubois
and "PHP and MySQL: Web Development" by Luke Welling and Laura Thomson.
These books do assume that you have some (read: a little) experience with
computers and the command line.

> Also, are there any good sources out there that discuss the technical
> and philoshophical issues related to creating a Content Management
> System?

No idea.  But when you find some, please share with all of us.

> I have been reading the articles on evolt on the subject, but I
> am looking for something that will explain how to set up modules withing
> the CMS and then how to allow for the future modules to be added and the
> management of those modules. Something along the lines of the way that
> phpnuke works.

Did you look at Zope or OpenCMS?  If you're going to be building something
from scratch, I doubt you'll be attaching modules onto it.  What kind of
modules are you talking about?

> One last question, does anyone in Toronto, Canada know of any good
> places to buy a notebook computer?

No idea, sorry.

Greg Farries
Web Project Leader