[thelist] Pet Market: SWF proven more efficient.

Erik Mattheis gozz at gozz.com
Thu Jun 20 01:12:00 CDT 2002

At 3:32 PM -0700 6/19/02, John Dowdell wrote:
>completely separating the data
>from the presentation layer... it doesn't require the server generate and
>transfer a new display page after each user interaction, or to download
>complex text scripts for trivial client-side interactions. SWF is more fun,
>_and_ more efficient.

I've given up on trying to get a Flash app I'm working on to be
referred to as something other than the "High Bandwidth" version. I'm
currently politiking to call the other version "Higher Bandwidth".

At 1:46 AM +0100 6/20/02, John Handelaar wrote:
>It'd certainly be a shame if blind people (to pick a
>traditionally-disenfranchised group with a significant
>requirement for pet food) were in some way unable to
>access this showcase site...

"Disenfranchised"? Great hyperbole!

This app demos MX integration, if you're interested in a demo of
Flash MX accessibility for screen readers, try
http://www.macromedia.com/desdev/mx/flash/articles/gov_edu.html.

There's a bounty of accessible HTML explaining the Pets demo and I
guarantee you that any blind visitor could care less in seeing for
themselves what this demo app looks like.

Maybe you'll find these links interesting, maybe not:

http://www.macromedia.com/macromedia/accessibility/features/flash/overview/
http://www.macromedia.com/macromedia/accessibility/features/flash/faq/

I'd say all that is pretty groovy being that the web as we know it
has been around for less than a decade and Flash less than that ...
when was the first regular TV broadcast with captioning? (And if my
information is correct, over it's many decades of history, the radio
industry has not made much progress in making their product
accessible to deaf people.)

- Erik Mattheis

(612) 377 2272
http://goZz.com/