[thelist] Protecting port 21

Samir M. Nassar nassarsa at redconcepts.net
Thu Jun 20 09:12:01 CDT 2002

<cite>
> Hi there evolt,
> Our senior administration has been spooked by news that FTP to our web
> server may pose a security threat. We need to find a way of protecting
> that traffic or shut it down altogether.
>
> Is there a concrete solution to protecting that traffic, short of
> shutting off that port completely? I'd appreciate any help you can
> provide. Please.
</cite>

It _is_ a security threat. And if you do want security I'd recommend
allowing only SSH and SFTP access to the server. SSH is Secure Shell,
and sftp is the secure file transfer protocol. Sftp uses port 22.

And if you are more security minded then only allow protocol 2 logins
for SSH, but that depends on the people who need to have access, since
not all SSH clients support SSH -2.

Samir M. Nassar
RedConcepts.NET - http://redconcepts.net