[thelist] Urdu text in web pages

Alan Wood alan.wood at context.co.uk
Thu Jun 20 09:47:01 CDT 2002

Julian Scarlett wrote:

> does anyone know how to put Urdu text into a web page? I don't
> want to use images at all.

It should not be too difficult. Microsoft added Urdu support to Word in Word
XP, so (if you have someone who can type Urdu) they can use Word XP to
produce documents.  You may need Windows XP to get an Urdu keyboard driver.

On the File > Save as menu in Word, choose "Web Page, Filtered" and you
should get an Urdu Web page that can be read in IE 5 or 6.  I expect Mozilla
and Netscape 6 can read them too.

You will need to specify UTF-8 encoding.  Sorry, I don't have Word XP here
so I am not sure how to do that.

Alan Wood
Documentation Writer / Web Master
Context Limited (http://www.context.co.uk)