[thelist] Why aren't email viruses extinct? (was: [admin not ice, please read])

Amazon Paulo Amazon.Paulo at Amazoniacelular.com.br
Thu Jun 20 11:40:01 CDT 2002

Sean,

>If you admin an email server, and you still allow emails with .exe, .vbs,
et
>al attachments to get through, come on!  It takes a few minutes to set up
>and then it's done and you're protected.  Seriously, you belong in the
>unemployment line with ms-sql DBAs that left sa with the default password.

You're right, but it's not always that simple. In the company where I work
(which is an ISP) the admin has set the server up to erase e-mails with any
kind of attachments (except for txt, zip and a few other "inoffensive"
extensions). A week later, one of our users has threaten to sue the ISP
(he's a lawyer) because we were preventing him from receiving his emails.
Explaning this is for his security was not enough... He said he thinks it's
an absurd to enforce everyone to zip something before sending...

(I really hope this guy has received a lot of infected mails).

Unfortunately, we'll have to cope with email viruses for a long time, in my
opinion.

Paulo Guedes