[thelist] Can't get CSS layout to look correct

Bill Mason evolt at accessibleinter.net
Thu Jun 20 17:39:01 CDT 2002

At 03:13 PM 06/20/2002, Roger Ly wrote:
>  - In Mozilla 1.0, I have defined a width, and padding-left for the top box.
>But, it seems to make the box render at width+padding-left pixels (instead of
>just width pixels [247px v 240px]).

This is what should happen under the CSS spec.  IE5 is notorious for doing
it wrong by deducting padding/margin/border from the defined width.  IE6
also does this when rendering in its Quirks mode.

Width is the width for the actual content within the CSS 'box'.  Margin,
padding, and border are added on top of that.

Bill Mason
Accessible Internet
evolt at accessibleinter.net
http://www.accessibleinter.net/