[thelist] Correct use of H tags

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Sat Jun 22 02:30:01 CDT 2002

> Is there a correct way of using H tags on a page?  I'll
> explain further...  The W3 html site uses one h1 tag for the
> page/document title followed by one h2 tag followed by loads
> of h3 tags.  If those h1 and h2 tags weren't there, would it
> be correct to use loads of h1 tags (as they would be the
> first instance on a h tag on the page), or is an h1 tag
> supposed to be for a top page heading only?

The technically fussy correct way to use <hx> is hierarchically, as you're
saying. Headers imply structure and really ought to be used as you would the
levels of an outline. So, if you only had one level deep, each heading would
be <h1> all the way down the page. If you want it to *look* different
(that's presentation, not structure) define usable/attractive/whatever
styles for all your <hx> tags in your stylesheet.

joel