[thelist] Re: Hn tags

Techwatcher techwatcher at accesswriters.com
Sat Jun 22 16:48:01 CDT 2002

Hi, all, and a QUESTION:

> the w3c recommends using them hierarchically
>
> some of us don't buy that, because structurally, heading tags do not
nest

Yikes -- I guess you're not primarily a writer! Heading tags are the
exact equivalent of headings and subheadings off-line. We don't want or
*expect* them to nest! We certainly do expect them to get smaller as we
move down to lower-level (more detailed) content -- but then they jump
up again (not sequentially moving up -- which is why they shouldn't
nest!). For example, headings might match an outline, and once one
reaches level 4, the next level might be level 1 (or 2) again.

I generally use one H1 header as the page's title (often exactly
duplicating the content of my TITLE tag, in fact), then use several H2
headers for major divisions within content. But then, I also generate a
hypertext table of contents automatically from the header tags, and the
program also nests those results in a UL....

QUESTION: I am absolutely flummoxed by the I.E. 5.5 browser's inability
to treat simple headings as a (rectangular) block. After reading Eric's
article (hadn't previously realized default display was inline for
CSS2) I even tried specifying (in CSS)

h1 {display: block}

and, wrapped in a div, my logo (image) also displayed as a block,
yet I cannot get the h1 heading and logo graphic to reliably appear on
two separate lines. I am so used to thinking of h# as a block level
element, and block MEANS lf-cr, dammit! Is there a fluid design way to
force the heading to be on its own line?

Can anyone provide the general fix for this problem? My current problem
page is at

camilio.accesswriters.com/prop_ad1.shtml

The CSS file is called scott.css (tell me if I should copy it in a
message; I don't know if you can retrieve the knowing that, or need to).

This browser wraps part of the heading between the left (nav ul) and
right (logo) floats. Is there some way to fix it? Is using & nbsp ; (I
separated that into 3 pieces to display) between all its words
acceptable practice?

tia
Carol Stein
techwatcher at accesswriters.com