[thelist] Re: Hn tags

Joel Canfield joel at spinhead.com
Sat Jun 22 19:15:01 CDT 2002

> here's my classic example -- it's a page that shows the three
> stooges, so the h1 will say "the three stooges" and then i
> want an h2 for curly, larry, and moe
>
> i also want to place the subheading "the funniest comedians
> in history" and a paragraph of introduction right under the main title
>
>    the three stooges
>         the funniest comedians in history
>            actually there were six of them, but the
>            "real" ones were curly, larry, and moe,
>            and the three that followed, all replacements
>            for curly, were never as funny
>     curly
>       born jerome k howard, curly was...
>     larry
>       larry fine, besides being the slappee or recipient
>       of most of the violence, was an accomplished violinist...
>     moe
>       moe howard, jerome and shemp's older brother, was the
>       undisputed leader of the team, and...

Clarify for me - the sub-paragraph between the title and curly - it's
structurally 'below' c, l, and m, because you *want* it that way? I would
assume your example would look like this:

<h1>the three stooges</h1>
 <h2>the funniest comedians in history</h2>
        actually there were six of them, but the
 <h2>curly</h2>
   born jerome k howard, curly was...
 <h2>larry</h2>
   larry fine, besides being the slappee or recipient...
 <h2>moe</h2>
   moe howard, jerome and shemp's older brother...

But, if it's important that the introduction be 'lower' than c, l, and m,
how 'bout this?

<h1>the three stooges</h1>
 <h2>introduction</h2>
  <h3>the funniest comedians in history</h3>
        actually there were six of them, but the
 <h2>curly</h2>
   born jerome k howard, curly was...
 <h2>larry</h2>
   larry fine, besides being the slappee or recipient...
 <h2>moe</h2>
   moe howard, jerome and shemp's older brother...

Again, I'm not arguing; just trying to understand your perspective. This
subject causes me quite a bit of internal angst; conflicts between the
desire to properly nest my haitches and the knowledge that structures such
as you've proposed don't necessarily fit neatly into such structure.

Tenks

joel